Sunday 18 January 2015

Italian Wars French 4 – Reisläufers 4


Sometime in late November (I think?) last year, I finished another two bases of mercenary pikemen for my Italian Wars project. Today, I finally took the time to photograph them.

Like the last two bases finished, these are in an attacking pose with leveled pikes – very unpractical for storing and playing but they certainly do look the part.


The miniatures are once again from Foundry's lovely Renaissance range, sculpted by Michael Perry way back.


Unfortunately the matt varnish seems to have killed some of the brightest highlights, making them look a bit flat. I have never had any problems with this varnish before (Windsor&Newton Galleria Matt Varnish), and I've been using it exclusively for the past three or four years. It seems I may have gotten a bad pot, and I've since bought a new one that seems to work as it should. When I get around to it, hopefully another coat (the third) will restore at least some of original highlights.


Finally, I couldn't resist taking a picture of an almost finished unit. Lots of pikes here!


I'm working on the command bases now, and then these two units will finally be finished. It's been a bit of a slog to be honest, but I think the result will be worth it.

As always, thanks for reading!

23 comments:

  1. A great looking addition to a project that's moving forward! Also, I've seen that Warlord is starting to make some moves for their Pro Gloria range, so all is not lost. Sorry to hear about the varnish, nothing more disheartening after the many hours spent painting - I once ruined a complete cavalry unit with a spray varnish that crystalized milky white. An incident that broke out the best of my Danish vocabulary:0) I have since stayed faithfully with Warpaint's product applied with brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sören! Great news about Warlord and ProGloria by the way. Maybe we can look forward to pushing around some pike blocks and gendarmes during 2015? :)

      Regarding spray varnish: I have read too many horror stories similar to yours to dare use anything but brush-on varnish. Even though it isn't without problems, as evident here, it still seems much safer than using the spray variant!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous, the colours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb, I love your colors! I don't know how an enemy would approach a unit like this. Like trying to bite a porcupine. A very bright and beautiful porcupine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty! The best way to approach them is to, well ... not. But rather stand well back and shoot them to pieces with your arquebusiers as they come rushing towards you. Which is what happened at eg Bicocca.

      Delete
  4. They look great! Nice to see some progress in this project again. And levelled pike is indeed impractical for storage and gaming - not to mention for an opponent on a battlefield. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mattias! Haha, yeah you're right of course. :)

      Delete
  5. They look amazing! I'm always a bit afraid of all the intricate details with those guys but yours do look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, they're certainly fiddly to paint and do take their time to finish but the effect is very nice indeed.

      Delete
  6. great work! love the pastel colours you used on your figures...the unit looks stunning!

    I need help and suggestions on which 28mm figures to use as Pike blocks etc. looking at Spanish 1503 – 1518 or Spanish Charles V 1519 – 1534 periods.

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil, that's very kind of you!

      I'm no expert on the Spanish to be honest, but I know The Assault Group has a line of Spanish for the early parts of the Italian Wars.

      Delete
  7. These look fantastic, I really like the colours

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Jonas! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Realy impressive, this unit is amazing...fantastic colors Jonas, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very kind words Phil – much appreciated!

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    Very nice painting !!!
    Nikko

    ReplyDelete