Sunday 2 June 2013

Novgorodians 6


As I had hoped, I managed to finish the rest of the first city militia unit for my Novgorod force for the Baltic Crusades project during the week. So that's six more models for a total of 12 in the unit.

Here is another picture of the second batch – hopefully a view the enemy never gets to see!

The miniatures are from Gripping Beast and the shield transfers are from Little Big Men Studios.

I mentioned in an earlier post that this range, Early Russians, are a bit hit-and-miss. Well, most of the "misses" are on these models. Overall I like them, but some parts/details are not that great to be honest – maybe they are beginning to show their age? Anyway that's enough of my whining for now.

Taking pictures was a bit tricky today because the sun made some parts too bright and others too dark, but I think they came out all right after bit of work in Photoshop. So here are some pictures of the whole unit:

That just leaves one more unit before I'm done with the starter force for this project: another unit of 12 city militia, this time mostly shooters. In games I'll combine these to get two mixed units with both close combat and shooting abilities. Hopefully a recipe for success ...

Finally, a warm welcome to my new follower Rosbif. Thanks for joining up, I hope you will like the blog and find much of interest here.

16 comments:

  1. Greate work Jonas !!!

    Realy looking forward to meet them on the gaming table.

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! Just 12 more and they're ready for your Swedish Crusaders!

      Delete
  2. Great work Jonas! I do like the colors, and what you've done with the shields...the transfers are looking fantastic too...the overall impression is very nice!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Jonas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow basing is a perfect compliment to your great painting. These really shine! Can't wait to see the whole crew together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Monty! Just 12 more and then there will be some group shots of the whole force, hopefully with some nice terrain in the background instead of our living room table.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work indeed! I really like the snow bases too.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, I've never liked snow basing until now. It fits so well with the figures and the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, I take it as a great compliment that I've managed to change your mind about snow bases. :)

      Delete
  7. Fabulous work Jonas, the basing ties everything together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran! I'm quite pleased with the snow basing.

      Delete
  8. Great looking miniatures.
    Full of character and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating! You don't see this region or period represented much on the table-top.

    Lovely work, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johnny, much appreciated.

      The relative obscurity of the period makes it very interesting for me, especially as it's also something with ties to my own country's history.

      Delete