Here are the next two bases of pike armed mercenaries for my French army for the Italian Wars. They are either Landsknechts or their Swiss counterpart Reisläufers.
I actually finished these earlier in the summer, but I just now took the time to finally photograph them.
After posting up the first batch, I got some comments on the basing – more specifically some people thought they looked too regular and ranked up, and lacking that "push of pike" feeling. In hindsight, I do agree and for these new bases I tried to position them in a more irregular manner. I think they look much better for this.
As you may remember, I had some problems with the first bunch I painted using the straight Foundry triad system. For the new models I reverted back to my standard method, relying more on washes and sharper highlights. As a result, I'm much more happy with the look of these. The problem now is of course they have a slightly different look than the first bases – a bit darker or dirtier and with more contrasts between the layers. I haven't yet decided if the difference is too noticeable or if I can pass them off OK.
Here are some shots of the finished bases to date. You can clearly see the difference in painting styles.
Lots of pointy stuff.
I will not field the pike block like this, but nevertheless it's nice to get a feel for the finished unit.
As always, thanks for reading and I hope you'll have a great week!