Saturday 28 July 2012

Two Dux in a Row

 It surely is great time to be a Dark Ages player these days. Not only does SAGA continue to be much played and talked about, but there are two upcoming rules for the time period slightly before the one SAGA covers (the so called "Age of Arthur") – Dux Britanniarum by Too Fat Lardies and Osprey's Dux Bellorum.


I really liked my first game of SAGA, but at times it felt somewhat "abstract" (which is both a good thing and a bad thing depending on my particular mood). The more detailed, roleplaying elements of Dux Brit intrigues me, as does the campaign system – something I find sorely missing in SAGA.

Dux Bellorum on the other hand, is aimed at larger battles than both SAGA and Dux Brit handles (both of them being large scale skirmish games) which is also something I'm keen to try out.

I have preordered both of these rules and look forward to get some more Dark Ages gaming going. Of course I have to (yes, yes I know) paint up a new army as my vikings and anglo-saxons are for a later time period, but I have devised a cunning plan that will get me a force to use in all the three games mentioned above. More on this later ...

2 comments:

  1. Dux Bellorum is on my wish lest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the pdf-version of Dux Brit the other day but haven't had time to finish reading it yet. So far it's looking very good though – well worth the (small) hype.

    Dux Bellorum seems to be available from places like Caliver Books, a couple of weeks before the official release. I pre-ordered mine from The Book Depository, so will have to wait ...

    ReplyDelete