Wednesday 4 January 2012

Prioritizing

In the projects post i mentioned my plans for 2012 and before I talk about them I need to talk about my gaming situation. See, the people I game with are really cool and I like them a lot, but they are not wargamers. Therefore, if I want to try a new game I need to paint up at least two armies/warbands/teams and make all the neccessary terrain myself. All of which means that the start up time for any new periods/games tends to be rather long. 

(I've thought about joining a club, to get more "into it" gaming friends, but so far I've not done it. Maybe this year?)

Anyway, for 2012 I've decided to make a list of projects I want to do, rather than just buying things at random. They will be rated according to a couple of aspects, to find out which projects are to be prioritized. These aspects are, in descending order of importance:
  1. Likelyhood of it getting played when finished.
  2. Number of miniatures to paint.
  3. Amount of new terrain to be made (also, how generic/usable are the new terrain).
  4. Cost.
I'm putting gaming at the top, because in the past I've realized that nothing is more motivating than an actual plan to put it all on the table.

2 and 3 are related, as they are all about the time it will take to get the damn thing finished.

To tell you the truth, number 4 hasn't been too important in the past. But since I will be on paternity leave for most part of the year, the family budget (and as a result my hobby budget) will be a little tighter this year. Also, I'd rather spend my money on something that gets played than something that just get tucked in my bulging cupboards.

I'm still mulling the list of projects over, two projects are already decided, and hopefully I will post it in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment